Sunday, April 15, 2012

...special surprise.

so, i finally have enough confidence in my cake skills to include on this blog the first cake that i ever decorated. i was super excited to make this birthday cake for my boyfriend at the time and so i looked up a recipe for fondant on cake central. well, i ended up finding this recipe that had great reviews (what an absolute joke) and i decided to try it because everyone said it was so easy. the recipe involved marshmallow fluff and a few other ingredients. marshmallow fluff. really? yeah, it didn't work. who came up with that recipe? the fondant over the cake looked decent in the beginning and was smooth but over time it just kept creeping and stretching down the cake. like it was melting. the loops for the bow on the top wouldn't even dry! fondant is supposed to be soft but it has to get kind of hard too or it just doesn't work properly!
one last thing i have to defend myself on...the polka dots and color scheme. oh my heck. i can't really explain myself out of that dotsy gift wrapping, i mean, i guess i just hadn't seen many ideas to spark my cake decorating imagination yet and that was all i could come up with. as far as the colors...i am going to blame those choices on the fact that i only owned the basics in my wilton gel dye kit.
so...after feeling completely embarassed and ashamed by this cake ever since i created it, i am finally going to just post it on here and finally let everybody see it! ha...the funny thing is, in hindsight this cake is a good representation of my relationship with the boy i made it for: it had some good parts but mostly looked like a disaster from the outside and with all the ingredients that were involved it was destined for failure.
.
..
...
....
.....
......
.......
.........
........
.......
......
.....
....
...
..
.
..
...
....
.....
......
.......
........
.........
........
.......
......
.....
....
...
..
.
..
...
....
.....
......
.......
........
.........
........
.......
......
.....
....
...
..
.
..
...
....
.....
......
.......
........
.........
........
.......
......
.....
....
...
..
.
..
...
....
.....
......
.......
........
.........
........
.......
......
.....
...
..
.
may the future be filled with desirable cakes and even more desirable men! : )

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love that you posted this! Remember when I would beg you to show me this picture and you would NOT?! You've come so far Britt! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BRITT!!! I had NO idea you had a BLOG!!! YAY....HOW AMAZING-I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Yes Amy, I remember!!! Baha! And thanks Kayla!

    ReplyDelete