Saturday, February 16, 2013

50th Anniversary Craziness/Christmas Break : )

So, like 6 months ago my mom and I started planning what extravagant cake we were going to create for my grandparent's 50th anniversary. We had tons of ideas but then I moved to Boston...and my flight back to Utah for the big party was the night before. And cakes cannot be super awesome in just one day unfortunately. Anyway, to make a long, tragic, sad, and frustrating story short my flight out of Boston got delayed and I flew into Salt Lake the morning of my grandparent's party and decorated two cakes (which my mom had baked and made frosting for in advance) as fast as I could. We decided to keep it simple since we knew we would be low on time. My plan was 2 tiers, the bottom one covered in gold leafing and the top piped elegantly and painted gold. Well, cake will be cake...which means it does whatever the heck it wants and never what you want it to do : ) ...so here is what everything ended up being!
 
I started the special personalized chocolates a few weeks before I left for Utah. This picture is of the painted chocolate molds.


The finished chocolates : )




 
 ...complete with gold sparkles!

 
the wrapped chocolates! : )
They say
Jack & JoAnne
December 27, 1962
...then just a bunch of lovey words

 This cake was chocolate filled with pastry cream and fresh raspberries


All finished and topped with roses.
 So, we ran out of gold leafing...and it had been ordered special online and so we couldn't get any more of it. Also, when I say gold leafing, I mean real gold leafing. Don't worry, it is edible, but it is also expensive. Anyway, we had to go for the distressed/weathered look since we couldn't cover the whole cake.



 Here is the other cake. Like I said, the plan was to put this one on top of the other one but I just couldn't since the golds didn't match! It irritated me so much! Oh well! I was lucky I even got to be there : ) Oh and this cake is lemon filled with lemon buttercream and fresh strawberries.




The cutest grandparents around! : )


hahaha...my cute cousin Abby LOVED the chocolates.






Beautiful lips eating beautiful frosting...hehehe  ; )

me, Abby, and Bay at the party : )

Well, other than decorating cakes I also went snowboarding over Christmas break with Brai for her first time! Also, we got to go with Jashley for the first time, and Brock and Brenton even tried skiing!




No comments:

Post a Comment